Monday, February 20, 2012

Alright, I Actually DO Like Matt Smith

After watching the rest of Series 5 and half of Series 6, I must say that Matt Smith has grown on me quite a bit. I'd even go so far to say that he is right up there with David Tennant and Tom Baker. Actually, I will say that. He's right up there with David Tennant and Tom Baker.

After checking out who directed /wrote the first episodes of Series 5 and then seeing them virtually disappear from the show, I understand why I didn't like the program. They were directing him poorly and focusing too much on the aesthetic of the show than the content. I'm really glad they're gone. Although 'Vampires of Venice' wasn't my favorite episode from S5, Smith really blossomed into the role in that piece: he was funny, quip-y, haphazardly brilliant, and buried his deeply tormented self under his bright exterior; he was everything the Doctor is. The story arcs are becoming more and more brilliant and mind-boggling. Everything about the show is now surpassing my wildest expectations.

However, the episode that really got to me was, of course, 'Vincent and the Doctor.' Have an accurate portrayal of one of the greatest artists of all mankind, you have me hooked. I cried, a lot, watching that episode. The cast, director, and writers were all incredible; the Doctor's compassion really shined through, Amy was an excellent companion, and the man they chose for Vincent was remarkable. It was this episode that converted me and it's only gotten better after it. Good Show, Smith. Cheers!

The theme song, though, still not a fan, but I can get over that.

No comments:

Post a Comment