Saturday, February 4, 2012

They Have Bodies!

You have no idea how excited I was when I read this article a couple weeks ago. My brain nearly exploded. That's right, folks, the Heads have bodies! The Easter Island Heads, that is. So much for all those films where it was relevant that they were just heads. Take that Night at the Museum!

Apparently this is not new news, but I don't care, it's news to me!
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/106129

What I find most astonishing is the skill of the indigenous peoples creating the sculptures. The tools they used would have been far less than what any artisan now requires, and yet the objects they create are amazingly detailed, rounded, and expressive. I like thinking about how they labored over these massive god-icons only to be told by some tribe leader that they need to be buried. I bet some of the artisans might have been a little put off. Or not. Maybe that was the plan the whole time, to keep their icons safe. I just wonder how they dug holes that deep and wide without the aid of mechanical tools. I vote they used dinosaurs.


If you want to know more about the Easter Island Statue Project, check out their website:
http://www.eisp.org/3879/

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty amazing! And to show you how uncultured i must be, all i can think is that now we know Squidward has a basement

    ReplyDelete